Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Six Questions Answered for the Technical Trainer

1. Librarything and Wikis were my favorites. They are both useful in the work I do in the library.
2. This program has assisted my lifelong learning goals by demonstrating to me once again that perseverance and overcoming obstacles pays off. It has also given me a jump start on technologies that I would not have known about otherwise. I believe that this experience will come in handy when dealing with patrons and I hope to incorporate some of my new knowledge in the library projects I'm involved in.
3. I was surprised at my ability to puzzle through some of the technology problems that arose for me.
4. You could improve the program by adopting a broader view of learning styles. For example, having knowledgeable staff that were more hands-on accessible to your students might have facilitated the learning process for some. Not every one learns well by remote e-mail. Unfortunately, rarely was knowledgeable staff in the department available to help at the time allotted me to work on Twentythree Things. One hour a week hardly covered the time it took to read, let alone do the exercises. If you are self-taught there are many dead end roads you travel before finding one that takes you in the right direction on your journey. The Trial and error method of learning takes time and the ability to be able to tolerate frustration. It is especially frustrating to try and learn a new task when you are also being asked to multi-task other assigned duties at the same time. Guaranteeing a student an approriate amount of time to learn without interuptions that frustrate and hamper trains of thought would have been a vast improvement in the program and would have made learning a more enjoyable experience.
5. I would participate again, but I would hope that improvements were made.
6. I would describe my learning experience as self-taught. I would say that Twentythree Things made me develope new neurological synapses in my brain.

2 comments:

beachy librarian said...

Congratulations on finishing, Pugwump. Your summation was very insightful - I also like the Library Thing.

HCPL Techincal Trainer said...

LMAO....

Thanks for the input Pugwump...